Tuesday, March 21, 2017




Beauty and the Beast 2017: Just how gay is it? Just how wonderful is it?

Beauty and the Beast has always been one of my all-time favorite Disney movies, so when I heard that there was to be a live action remake I was very pleased.  Honestly, my daughter might have been even more pleased.  For weeks we anticipated the movie’s release and had a countdown until the day we would go it.  We bought tickets to an IMAX theater and on March 18th experienced this beautiful movie in all of its glory on the big screen with crystal clear, ear crushing sound.
I marveled at the intense beauty of the film and the added scenes were an absolute bonus.  The fact that the Beast got a solo song that was both powerful and excellent gave me cold chills.   As Belle flits away in her yellow dress towards home and gets further and further away from the man who loves her pain in the Beast’s song is felt on a visceral level.  Her yellow dress weaving in and out of the blue- gray court yard is one of the most vivid and beautiful images I have ever witnessed in cinema.  I am a bit of a shameless movie buff, but this scene haunts me even now.  It simply took my breath. I admit with no shame that I felt tears in my eyes.   The power of that onscreen moment will stay with me for the rest of my life.  

We are also treated to additional story that gives history to Belle’s mother and the loss that hangs over her and her father’s home.  The moments we share in this backstory are magical and invoke a kind of sadness that makes one feel just how important life truly is.   This movie is truly a “father/daughter” film. 
    
Rarely have I felt the uncontrolled desire to give a standing ovation in the middle of a film. However, the rendering of “Be Our Guest” was such a moment for me.  I wanted to stand and applaud.  It was a marvel to witness and listen to.  Ewan McGregor, may have been auto tuned, but it did not matter.  The song was fantastic and over the top in the same way the animated version was so many years ago.   Bravo!

The unexpected break out character had to be LeFou.  Certainly there were some very short “gay” overtones that surrounded this character.  However, they were mostly a non-issue for me.   LeFou really came off has having a bad case of hero worship for Gaston and as my daughter pointed out merely seemed to “look up to him.”  The real test of LeFou’s character is his evolution during the movie.  He wrestled with right and wrong and finally figures out where he is going to fit in the world.  I won’t spoil it for you, but it is truly something to see.  LeFou could easily be my favorite character in the film for this reason.      

Belle simply dominates the screen in every scene she shows up in.  I did not think it possible for me to love Emma Watson more after her wonderful portrayal of Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter franchise.  However, she manages something with Belle that is a rare treat.  She completely owns the role.  Watson IS Belle!    In every tiny moment, she is Belle through and through.  It is so delightful, that you just fall in love with her immediately.  Her voice is beautiful, and the movie showcases her own innate sweetness perfectly.  Simply put, every scene that Watson is in is unforgettable. 
The controversy that surrounded this film because of the addition of “gay moments” feels more media driven than anything.  As a Christian, I generally take a stance against this nonsense because it is overdone.   Please understand, movies like As Good As It Gets, have wonderful, well developed, gay characters that make sense.  I have NO issue with this.  Comedy works like The Birdcage are brilliantly funny and full of political satire.  I have NO issue with this either.  Honestly, Beauty and the Beast takes a very limited run at this issue.  We have a transgender musketeer that appears onscreen for about 5-10 seconds.  Later this same character is shown dancing with LaFou for about 5-10 seconds.  That is it.  That is all.  There is some silliness between Gaston and LaFou that could be seen as “gay” but that really struck me more as silly humor than anything.  To wit: Gaston dances with him during his musical number.  It is VERY clear that Gaston is a straight man.   Honestly, I would just simply like to ask Disney a question about this.  Here are some numbers:  The movie cost over 300 million to make and market. The film is 129 minutes long.  The “gay” scenes take about roughly 30 seconds total screen time.  That means each 30 seconds of film time cost roughly 1,162,790 dollars.  Was it worth it?  Frankly, I think it is a waste of screen time and creates marketing issues overseas where homosexuality is less accepted.   Russia placed a no one under 16 rating on it.  China also had some issues with it but left the film intact.  Honestly, I would rather have gotten the scene where Beast is covered in birds after Belle helps them not be afraid of him.  That was hilarious in the animated version.  That scene would have been about 30 seconds total screen time and would have caused no issues in foreign markets.   My point is this:  Is it really worth the cost, effort and potential profit loss to “gay” something up?  I don’t think so.  Homosexuals are well represented in film.  I say let a fairy tale be what it is without pushing a modern agenda. Please note, the movie still opened strong in China despite the controversy.  I would hate to think that any child would miss out on such a great movie because of the controversy.
  
How do I ultimately feel about the movie?

I loved it.  It ranks in the top 25 movie experiences of my life.  The “gay” stuff is a non-issue for me, and discerning parents can easily guide their children about any issues they may have.  Despite the controversy and despite the fact that Mrs. Potts’ face is on her side instead of in front like the original film, this movie is a gorgeous and wonderful rendition that stays faithful to the past while moving into the venue of modern audiences.  It is excellent.

5/5 Stars    

No comments: