Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Incredible: LIFE IS STRANGE



I have been putting off writing this review until my emotions finally settled down.  I have had some amazing video game experiences in my life, but most of them pale in comparison to LIFE IS STRANGE. 

This title by DONTNOD entertainment with the help of SQUARE ENIX has revolutionized my expectations for future games.  I fear I will always be looking for that next game that will take me to the places this one did.  It may never happen again. 

LIFE IS STRANGE is all about hipster teens…until it isn’t.     I am endeavoring to keep this review spoiler free.  It is just such an excellent game that to spoil it would be a terrible disservice.  This will make my review much shorter than normal. 

Let’s just say that every episode made me feel like I was Max.  I was so caught up in the story that I feel like I lived this game.  It is still raw inside my mind.  I feel the emotions that I felt while playing it when I remember certain things that happened.  When I hear a song from the FANTASTIC musical score, it can bring feelings of nostalgia or even grief to me.  Yes, folks, the game is that good. 
This is a living world that I wish I could return to, but I am not sure that I can knowing what I now know.  This makes replay value very small unless you are an achievement hunter.  However, the game is reasonably priced so this should not be an issue.  I purchased it for around $11 dollars on Steam.  It was worth $100 or more.  It took me around 18 hours to complete it over several days.  I found myself thinking about it at work, as I lay in bed waiting for sleep and many other times.  Just play it.  You will see why. 

As a Christian, I need to note a few things about the game itself.  This could be considered a mild spoiler. 

You have been fairly warned. 

There is a lot of cursing in the game.  There is drug use in the game.  There is violence in the game.

It is also possible to play Max as a lesbian.  If you wish to avoid that, you need only to not choose kissing Chloe if it ever comes up and to choose to kiss Warren when it comes up.  That will take care of the lesbian possibilities, and they will not manifest in the game.    I played my Max as straight, and the relationship she had with Chloe was simply a powerful friendship filled with love and concern.  Whatever your choice, there are NO graphic sex scenes.  The relationship between these two characters is powerful and a thing of beauty.  Life is indeed strange sometimes, and this game hits a home-run.  It is like playing a movie.   It is possibly the best game I have ever played.  

No comments: