Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Tale of Two Sisters




A Tale of Two Sisters is a perfect movie. Hands down this the best ghost story, or pseudo-ghost story, I have ever experienced. This movie is a masterpiece. It is difficult to describe the film as anything other than a feast for the eyes and senses. It is visually stunning with camera work that rivals anything I have ever seen. Those interested in cinematography will be masterfully impressed. The acting is Oscar quality, something that is rare in many foreign films. The musical score is wondrous. The writing is tight and is so subtle that the revelations that the script brings slowly broadsides the viewer. It drags us kicking and screaming into the dark world that emerges. The film has a creepy quality worthy of Lovecraft, a visual quality worthy of only the finest directors, and a story that is so character driven that I found myself riveted to the screen for the entire film. The horror that unfolds is a metaphor in reality for so many things. In a sense the film almost has a “Cinderella from Hell” quality. The sins of the characters are played out in such a psychological manner that the ghostly elements seem almost plausible. It is important to note that ghosts do not scare me. I do not believe in hauntings from the dead. Yet, this film is so rich that I was able to completely dispel my sense of disbelief and allow it to carry me away. The sense of loss and horror makes this film stick with you. It works its way into your subconscious, and honestly, had me very disturbed at its conclusion. I watched it in the daytime. It would be best enjoyed in total darkness in a chilly room with a pal or a date. I have purposely stayed completely away from plot details because the discovery of this masterpiece should come naturally and without warning. Suffice it to say that of the many films I have seen and reviewed, (I would guess thousands)this movie now sits in my top ten list of all time. For me, it is a rare thing when a movie unseats a film from my list. A Tale of Two Sisters does just that. Yes, folks, it is that good. I do not have a single criticism. The film is flawless. See it with fear and trembling, and be awed by the inspired way it goes about its task. It is a work of complete perfection. Not for kids as it contains frightening imagery and disturbing elements.

No comments: