Thursday, June 3, 2010

Unexpected Prose


Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, Book 1) by Lian Hearn is likely one of the best books I have read in recent memory. I can't begin to touch the power of what these pages contain. The story is excellent and full of intrigue. The characters are human beyond belief. They have the sorrows and the joys we all have. The Oriental culture is captured perfectly in a very respectful manner. The fantasy elements are believable and in no way have an absurd feeling. The reader is able to believe the events taking place on the page. These issues are great strengths of the book; however, the greatest trait of the novel is its prose. The descriptions in this story are so rich that they have to be described as almost poetic. Quite honesty, it is some of the most beautiful writing I have experienced in a long time. It is majestic in scope with a simple delivery. The achingly gorgeous writing is almost to the point of art. This book is a rare find and should be read by anyone who enjoys a good story, but it should be savored by those who love literature. This is one of the most stunning books that I have read in the last 20 years. It takes a lot to unseat a book in my top five list. This book has done just that. It sits on a throne of its own as a shining example of what fine literature can be. I am still reeling from the story and most of all the power of the prose. There is not one wasted word, nor is there a single description that does not take the reader's breath away. I will be reading this entire series and anything else I can get my hands on by Lian Hearn. I look forward to being spirited away to that ancient land full of fantasy, but mostly I just want the words of the works to wash over me renewing my faith that writing of this caliber still indeed exists.

No comments: